City Council, District 9
I have stood up for increasing our investment in our parks, pools, and
community assets – and for establishing dedicated and ongoing funding
These efforts have included:
• Establish a dedicated source of funding for maintaining and improving our
historic cultural assets through Hotel Occupancy Taxes, which will provide
over $11 million next year alone to cultural sites.
• Approving a budget this year that includes recycling in every City park as
well as a significant increase in addressing deferred maintenance for our
• Resisting an effort to focus on pool closures through our Aquatics Master
Plan and instead re-focusing the City on making important investments in
maintaining our pools.
• Adopting a 2012 bond to invest nearly $78 million in our parks, recreation
centers, and cemeteries.
• Placing a 2018 bond on the ballot to invest $149 million in our parks and
• Increasing PARD’s budget by more than $13 million over the least three
budget cycles alone.
• Establishing a consistent investment of $115,000 every year for providing
lighting at City parks.
I look forward to continuing to work with our private parks partners to
increase our parks funding and to explore opportunities for stable, ongoing