As a Council Member, I led multiple efforts to improve access to healthcare and healthy living options for all Austinites, a commitment I will continue as mayor. These included:
- Increased Resources for Health and Human Services: Sponsored budget amendments to significantly increase resources for social service providers to ensure vital support for Austin’s most vulnerable residents.
- Combating Childhood Obesity: Led a forum with community partners, city commissioners and staff to develop creative initiatives to address Austin’s childhood obesity epidemic.
- Supporting Local Food: Worked to encourage sustainable urban agriculture to provide healthy, locally sourced food for our community.
- Curtailed Smoking: Led the effort to prohibit smoking in city parks and to stop sales and delivery of electronic cigarettes to minors.
- Eastside Health Center: Supported and explored funding options for Huston-Tillotson University’s efforts to create a wellness center for East Austin residents.
As mayor, I will continue these efforts and, in addition, will support the creation of a new community health commission whose work would include drafting a health impact analysis to assess the impacts of proposed city actions on residents’ health and healthcare.